Friday, March 8, 2013

genetically, I'm good

I got my first test results from my fertility center. Most people are familiar with the Counsyl genetic testing panel that tests for over 100 different genetic recessive disorders. My fertility center has developed a test with Counsyl that is a "limited" blood panel to test for the 16 most common genetic disorders. They include things like Cystic Fibrosis and Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Most women are tested to see if they are a carrier for CF when they find out they are pregnant. All these other genetic disorders they tested for are done at woman's NT scan. Since they are recessive, both G and I would have to be carries for our baby to have any of these.

Because of my losses (at my fertility center, they consider me to be there because of recurrent losses) they wanted to do this panel to rule out genetic disorders as the reason why I'm not able to keep a pregnancy. The doctor also explained to me that it'll be nice for us when we do get pregnant knowing that there is zero chance of our baby having any of these by the time we get to the NT scan. We liked that idea!

This panel was completely optional, and usually isn't covered by insurance. She said the test would be about $100-$150 OOP (out of pocket for the newbs following my blog!) which G and I felt wasn't too bad to rule out some serious issues. I did this test right there at the center after my initial appointment with Dr. B.

I got the phone call yesterday that I was negative for everything. YAY!!!! Honestly, I forgot about it though. It's like the one test I was least concerned about. I already knew I wasn't a carrier for CF since I had that test done during my last pregnancy. I really didn't think I was a carrier for anything else just based on my family history.

I'm more worried about G's SA (semen analysis) results, my HSG, CD3 blood work, ect. We also had to do an infectious disease blood draw but I'm not worried about that either. I'm a regular blood donor and if I had any of that shizz they would send me a nice letter telling me not to come back (they stalk my ass on the regular). I know someone this happened to!

Other than that, I'm still running, reading and just overall keeping myself busy. It helps pass the time. Once you get past a year, have had multiple losses and are now going through IF testing, you HAVE to keep yourself busy to stay sane. I also have a an AH-MAY-ZING group of women who are my rock, strength and shoulder when I need it.

I'm 8DPO in my current cycle. My back started killing me today. (Back pain = PMS for me) I'm out, but I wasn't expecting any miracles this cycle. I'm actually looking forward to taking a temping break next cycle as well! My doctor didn't specify that I couldn't try, but for my sanity I've already decided this is it. Next cycle will be finishing up testing and a follow up with Dr. B. Then I'll start treatment and since I'm being monitored, there is zero reason to temp any longer. YAY!

Happy Friday ladies! Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. I'm on baby watch - my college roommate is expecting her little girl any day! I'm so excited to meet baby Addison!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad all the tests came back negative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear everything came back ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy all tests have came back good so far! Glad you are keeping yourself busy and keeping up with your running! You are going to be in awesome shape for the summer!!

    ReplyDelete